I want to do network management on the command line

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 20:44:36 UTC 2011

Because I use live disks and static IPs a lot, I want a way to script
the network setup.  As it is, the GUI interface through
System->Preferences->Network Connections is slow and when done a lot
it's error-prone.  I'd much prefer a way to do it in a script that I
could, for instance, invoke from a USB drive.

I know some commands that do the trick.  The problem is that the
network management stuff cancels my work within a minute or so.  I
tried disabling a few things, but have not come up with a procedure
that's reliable. I also have not found where the Network Manager's
configuration files are kept, if they're on disk at all.

Help?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD