3 questions about new installations & updates

Rigved Rakshit r.phate at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 05:45:38 UTC 2011

>  2. Though so far a I have few complaints about Ubuntu, should I decide
> to switch to Debian can I install Debian over Ubuntu such that Debian does
> not reformat the hard disk thereby erasing all that I've done?

Do you mean convert your current Ubuntu install into Debian without
formatting? No, you cannot do this. While installing Debian, you could tell
the partition manager to leave you Ubuntu partition unformatted and install
Debian to another partition. This way, you will still have you Ubuntu
partition data. But you will have to install all the non-default software
that you want in Debian.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit