OT: Coin and Paper Currency [WAS:My request to ubuntu developer team]

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:59:13 UTC 2011

On 21 November 2011 21:05, Ernest Doub <hideserted at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't be done "overnight" in the USA.  Can't even be done in a month here.
> I ran a vending machine company for several years and the changeover in currency validating equipment is an expensive process both in terms of labor hours and the equipment itself.  The validators all have to be sent to a depot level facility for rework, requiring a large inventory of very expensive spares to make the changeover work.
> Given the amount of automated sales here it is a significant cost consideration.

The thing is, of course, that the public face of it happened
overnight, but that followed on months and years of work and
preparation behind the scenes, by governments, banks, private
companies, etc.

And they did it over the Yule/new year public holiday, for minimal disruption.

The Euro migration was a one-shot, big-bang operation.

Keeping the currency but changing the banknotes isn't.

You can do the $50 at one time, the $20 at another time, the $10 at
another, the $5 at another and so on. Start with the big-denomination
notes of which far fewer are in circulation and fewer (I would guess)
get put through vending machines and so on. It could be gradual, done
over years.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com