Kernel compilation

grok grok at resist.ca
Tue Nov 22 02:59:34 UTC 2011

scott <redhowlingwolves <at> nc.rr.com> writes:

> I have tried to compile a kernel with a grsec patch 5 times now using a
> couple of different methods and I keep getting a "No init found" and
> "Couldn't support optional features" errors every time at bootup.
> I'm trying to use a vanilla 2.6.32.27 kernel on 10.04 and it compiles
> fine, just will not boot.
>
> I've tried "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` fakeroot
> make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image
> kernel_headers", "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 make-kpkg --initrd
> --append-to-version=-586 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image".

There appears to be a big HTML error at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild .
The two crucial command lines above appear to be incomplete and run together.

First: you need to run the 'export' command to export the environment
variable '$CONCURRENCY_LEVEL' by itself:

    $ export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN`

Then you need to run the 'fakeroot' command, all on one line:

    $ fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd
--append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers

(all one line above) and of course, change the '--append-to-version'
commandline argument to suit your custom needs.