My request to ubuntu developer team

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 03:34:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 14:47 -0800, Ernest Doub wrote:
>
> > Show me ~any~ handheld device [using the above definition] currently
> > in distribution that has the same speed and productivity capabilities
> > as the desktop models currently in distribution.  You might be able to
> > make a case [it would still be a major stretch] if you chose an
> > absolute bottom end desktop box and the most bleeding edge handheld
> > but not if you are comparing averages.
> > The desktop will have the advantage in productivity until there is a
> > major technological breakthrough requiring at least an order of
> > magnitude reduction in "real estate" required for a given level of
> > computing power.
> ----
> OK - this is actually quite easy.
>
> Quad core Tegra 3 processor

Nice try, but short of the mark.  The press release announcing this
processor is dated November 9th, 2011.
When you can show me benchmarks for the same inputs and outputs in the same
speeds for the same or equivalent tasks, on a walk in and buy it off the
shelf product I will agree that you have met the criteria.
Until then you are trying to convince me that a lime is actually an orange
or that there is no difference between an apple and a pear.

> ----
>

> > You are very good at taking a statement of fact and turning it into
> > some sort of assertion in your own mind.  The unwillingness to accept
> > what are commonly accepted policies as a fact of life is your personal
> > cross to bear.
> > Business decision makers will never be interested in Linux as a
> > desktop OS as long as the developers refuse to provide the
> > productivity tools required by business in a package that is
> > economically implementable.
> > The only reason that MS has such a large market share is because they
> > meet the checklist of business requirements better than anybody else
> > in the view of the people who are writing the checks.
> ----
> that might be a majority of the reasons but certainly far from the only
> reason.
> ----
> >         > If you don't believe me, go ask those people who have spent
> >         their entire career studying how to increase productivity and
> >         ask them for their opinion of which system is better.
> ----
> productivity isn't verifiable - People can be productive with pretty
> much anything. There's little productivity benefit to Windows over
> Macintosh or Linux.

Make that statement to an Industrial Engineer and you will be laughed out
of the room.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_engineering

Make the same statement to your HR person and you may find your past
~performance reviews~ being carefully scrutinized and you being passed over
come promotion time.

> ----
>
> > th as been used so long and has become so widely accepted because it
> > is an efficient use of the workspace [monitor] and tools [keyboard and
> > mouse]
> ----
> not really but it is something that people pretty much understand at
> this point so there's little need for training.
>
> "Little need for training" translates directly into efficiency that goes
straight to the corporate bottom line through reduced training costs.
I have dealt with quite a few computer programmers in my career and the
majority of the ones I have known have a difficult time grasping the
concept of standardized controls or the larger ramifications of the use of
such controls.
Your very good at nit picking while entirely missing the concepts of the
main argument.

Craig

> believed to be clean.

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball
cap.”  - from a Facebook viral video
<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>