OFFTOPIC: Liam wants to argue (Was RE: A task-centric desktop...)

W. Scott Lockwood III vladinator at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:59:54 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Liam Proven
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 11:27 AM
To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: Liam wants to argue (Was RE: A task-centric
desktop...)

> What "meat" do you want, exactly?
> Given that MS is refusing to disclose exactly what patents it has, let
alone how many?

That is the heart of the problem. Given their history and track record, I'm
not taking anything they say on faith. MickySoft can put up or shut up.

> Wow. You must be a very sensitive and easily upset, then. I am seriously
amazed.

I also have a lovely singing voice. That's about as relevant as your other
observation here is, so I figured I'd just throw that in.

> How do you cope with communicating with strangers on the Internet?

This is starting to get old. You are a stranger, and I'm communicating with
you. You can either figure it out for yourself, or you can't. Given how well
you respond to polite and positive feedback, I'll stop giving it to you -
clearly, you don't want it.

> I have to tell you, don't try writing for publication then.

No, really. You don't have to. It's ok. Your concern is touching, but I
shall struggle on, regardless. Stiff upper lip, and all that.

> If you find being grouped in with others who are being described as
shouting or whining
>to be insulting or hurtful, then some of the emails and forum comments that
I have
> received over the years would either cause you a nervous breakdown or
suicide.

I see! Well, then I'm very glad I'm not you, thus not necessitating having
those conversations. On behalf of all the rest of the overly sensitive
whiners, thank you for taking that bullet for us. God save the Queen.

> It is a matter of routine for me to get communications calling me a troll,
an idiot, a liar, a cretin,
> a retarded moron who indulges in all manner of sexual activities will Bill
Gates and Steve Ballmer
> and much much *much* more besides.

Well, I can only tell you this - the only commonality amongst all your
disaffected relationships is you. Perhaps you should start looking there for
a solution?

> Seriously. If you think I was being offensive,

I do.

> I am sure I can forward you some stuff from my inbox that will shock you.

Thank you for the offer, but as I have socks to darn, and paint to watch
dry, I think I shall pass this time. That, and I'm far too busy organizing
my collection of lint balls.

> Shuttleworth is laying out tens of millions of his own personal money to
give us, for free, an excellent desktop OS.

I have neither the desire, nor the inclination to comment on how Mr.
Shuttleworth decides to spend his money. I will say this: If I had to go
back to Slackware tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a single tear. That worked very
well for me for more than 10 years.

> For people to then go "Waaaaa! but I don't like the new desktop! Gimme my
old one back or I am going to
> go and take someone else's free software instead!" strikes me as being
remarkably childish and whiney, yes!

And feeling that way is your right. Saying it to others however, in the way
in which you said it, is rude. Particularly when you do so in an accusatory
way.

> It's exactly the same as the massed outcry every time Facebook revamps its
interface.

No, not really. But, feel free to think that if you like. By the way - I had
the same solution there. I went to Google+ and never looked back.

> None of us are paying customers. None of us are being compelled to use
this. It's free.

Kind of my point exactly...

> Sure, positive critical feedback is useful, but "I hate it I hate it I
hate it gimme the old one back" is not positive critical feedback.
> It's whining.

Please quote back the message in which *I* said, "I hate it I hate it I hate
it gimme the old one back". When you can do that, you can take a free shot
at me. Until then, no - sorry, you're (in my opinion) wrong.

--
W. Scott Lockwood III