fixing distant computer via remote control

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 21 00:37:33 UTC 2011

On 11/20/2011 09:23 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:
> I am considering my options on fixing another computer via remote
> control.  The computer I want to fix is in a different house in my
> neighborhood.  We both use Ubuntu Linux version 10.10,(GNOME Desktop) so
> operating system differences shouldn't be a problem. We both use the
> same ISP, but obviously we do not share the same local network
> (different ISP accounts).
>
> I have been spending a lot of time going over to my neighbor to fix
> relatively simple things.  Winter is coming and I really don't want to
> leave my house for something that is relatively minor.  Some fixes take
> only a few minutes.  My neighbor tries to describe the problem but a
> verbal description is lacking.  What must be done so I can access my
> neighbors computer via my computer.  I would like a GUI application so
> it would be like I was actually there.

You already have the tools installed by default.

On the neighbor's machine:
System|Preferences|Remote Desktop
Sharing: click Allow other users to view... click Allow other users to
control...
Security: click You must contirm... click Require the user to enter...
and then enter a good, strong password.
Notification Area: click Only dispay an icon when there is someone
connected.

Note: the neighbor can leave sharing turned off except for when you need
to get in, that way she doesn't leave port 5900 & 5901 open. If you
install ssh, then you can ssh into the computer & turn it on directly
and then turn it off when you are finished:

$ ssh -X <username>@<ipaddress>
$ vino-preferences

Do what you need to do & then use the last command again to turn it off.
As others have mentioned, you'll may have issues getting in on 5900 or
22 (for ssh), so you may need to configure the ISP nat box to allow
those. Also, if you do install ssh, be sure to install denyhosts or
fail2ban as she'll get hit by ssh probes as soon as she turns on ssh.

For obtaining the IP of the neighbor, just have her fire up her browser
and go to http://whatsmyip.org and have her read the large 'Your IP
Address is..." to you. Then use Applications|Internet|Remote Desktop
Viewer or (Terminal Server Client) to vnc into her machine. Note: when
you connect and supply the password you will need to have her on the
phone & tell her to click the 'Allow' button after you've entered the
password from your side, otherwise you'll just stay with a black screen.

Also note that there are issue with VNC/Vinegre/Remote with nVidia cards
& 10.10. See:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126>
This bug might also be of interest & worth a read (vino is the vinegre
client - System|Preferences|Remote Desktop).

  Worth considering: subscribe her to a free dns service. I use
dyndns.com. Unfortunately there are a few hoops if you've not been
grandfathered in as a previous free user (I am):
<http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/21580/from-dyn-what-happened-to-free-accounts.html>
But $20 USD per year is a pretty good deal anyway. I've been using
DynDNS for years (free) and wouldn't object to a charge if I hadn't been
grandfathered in. Good company IMO. But again, it's simple to have her
go to http://whatsmyip.org and have her read the IP address to you when
you need to access.

Also see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Vinagre