need good way to create screencast

Jason Paul Joines jason at joines.org
Sun Nov 20 23:01:18 UTC 2011

     I'm running Kubuntu 11.04 on Lenovo ThinkPad T510 and trying to
make a video with audio of a LibreOffice Impress presentation I'm giving.

     I've tried using istanbul, gtk-recordmydesktop, recorditnow, and
recordmydesktop.  In each case the video and audio get out of sync.
I've tried every combination of settings I could find via Google in any
forum post, YouTube video, bug report, etc., but nothing works.

     The latest thing I've tried was to use the script posted in the bug
report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/recordmydesktop/+bug/339648
which records audio and video separately and then recombines them.  Just
in case anyone else tries that script, recordSoundAndDesktop.sh, I had
to replace the single dashes in the recordmydesktop line with double
dashes as in --fps and --v_quality.  The result was a video that was
still out of sync with the audio but also ran way too fast.

     My sound hardware via hwinfo is:
20: PCI 1b.0: 0403 Audio device
   [Created at pci.318]
   Unique ID: u1Nb.WiEkMfkoYv9
   SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0
   SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1b.0
   Hardware Class: sound
   Model: "Intel Ibex Peak High Definition Audio"
   Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
   Device: pci 0x3b56 "Ibex Peak High Definition Audio"
   SubVendor: pci 0x17aa "Lenovo"
   SubDevice: pci 0x215e
   Revision: 0x06
   Driver: "HDA Intel"
   Driver Modules: "snd_hda_intel"
   Memory Range: 0xf2620000-0xf2623fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
   IRQ: 41 (25351 events)
   Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00003B56sv000017AAsd0000215Ebc04sc03i00"
   Driver Info #0:
     Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is active
     Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hda_intel"
   Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

     Any ideas?

Jason