My request to ubuntu developer team

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at fastmail.us
Sat Nov 19 22:40:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 16:08 -0600, W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:
> No need to fork. Use Linux Mint.

Art Edwards (Quoted by Lockwood):

> The problem for me is that I use the computer for real work. I know others
> do, but it's not even a little bit of a hobby for me. Gnome 2 had been an
> incredibly nice productivity tool. To me, Unity is big and dumb. It seems
> the world has fallen in love with tablet interfaces. I don't want a bunch of
> eye-candy on my desktop. Is there any chance that someone will fork gnome to
> serve the original geeks who grew up using linux?

<Much quoted material that we've all read before deleted>

1. Please bottom (or interleave) post on this list and trim out old
material judiciously. It just makes it easier to follow the conversation
if you do and is the accepted standard here, besides being kinder to the
archives.

2. Linux Mint is using an only slightly modified gnome-shell for its
main branch.  If you don't like gnome-shell, you will not like Mint 12.
If you hate Unity, you probably will not like gnome-shell either since
they aren't all that different.  I can't decide which I like better; I'm
productive and happy using either.

3. The attempt to save gnome 2 with the MATE fork has many problems and
it will likely go the way of the Trinity Project that was supposed to
rescue KDE 3.5.  I found the MATE version of Mint 12 RC unusable, and
Clem admits that it will likely have many problems even after the
official release.  He doesn't sound all that happy about the whole MATE
business on his blog but is trying hard to accommodate the many people
who want a gnome 2 version of Mint.

4. Gnome 2 was abandoned by its developers because it was growing
unwieldy and hard to maintain.  It is effectively dead.  In less than 18
months the last Ubuntu and Mint LTS versions which used gnome 2 will
fall off maintenance.  Nothing new will be developed for gnome 2, and
applications aimed at gnome 3 will not work on it because of naming
conflicts.

5. Michael Jackson and gnome 2 are still dead, and pretty soon the
traditional desktop computer will be too for most users.  Get over it.
Use XFCE, KDE or LXDE, all of which are old fashioned desktops during
the transition if you must: stop whining.

Grumpily,

--
pongo pan
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:36:44 -0800