What must be done to get Skype running?

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Fri Nov 18 18:06:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am thinking about trying to install Skype but I need to know what
software I must install and what hardware is best.  I have Unbuntu 10.10
(32 bit version) running and I'm not thinking about upgrading to Unbuntu
11.XX.

I see that the software repository has Skype on it but is it acceptable.
  Microsoft has recently bought Skype so I'm wondering if they will
support Skype on Linux.  Is the version on the repository all the
software that is needed to run Skype?

Now as for the hardware component...  My laptop is a Dell with an AMD 64
bit processor, and 2 Gbytes of ram.  It's a bit old but is still quite
usable.  There is no microphone but do any webcams come with the needed
microphone?  What webcams are best to avoid?

Bill Stanley