My request to ubuntu developer team

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 16:38:59 UTC 2011

On 16 November 2011 17:19, R S V Reddy <ubuntu.bkn1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Change is inevitable. You have to accept me. Me, I am glad that every
>> 6mth I get new toys to play with, more polish, more integration and so
>> on. I like it. I only run LTS on servers.
>
> I accept that change is inevitable - not only here but in all aspects of
> life and I agree with you.

That's always good. :¬) Sorry for my strange typing error ("me"
instead of "it") which made the post a bit confusing.

But speaking of confusing...

> But finally I would say that we are home users,
> we no more no much of the technology under the tree but take only the shadow
> which we need. So if our tree changes, we feel some pain.

I'm afraid I don't understand this at all. Is it a translated saying
or aphorism?

I have noticed that the change from GNOME 2 to Unity does seem to have
caused many people much pain, yes. Personally I find this hard to
understand, but then, Unity is much like Mac OS X and I know Macs very
well, having been a Mac user (as well as a PC and Unix one) since the
late 1980s. It is hard for me to understand how so many people can be
so inflexible that a simple rearrangement of their desktop makes them
hate the new system.

I think that the best thing that could come out of it is lots of new
users for Xubuntu and Xfce, which is not as sophisticated as GNOME but
can be made to look and work very much like it.

(A few versions ago, the Xubuntu desktop looked almost exactly like
GNOME, with the same panels in the same places. Sadly, it no longer
does, so migrants from GNOME have some work to do as soon as they
start using it, rearranging it to the way that they want.)

Some will go to GNOME 3 running in Fallback Mode, but I think that
will disappear in a release or two, maybe in GNOME 3.4 next April. I
have read a news story about increasing 2D support in GNOME Shell, but
I can't find it now. Once GNOME Shell can run without 3D acceleration
(as Unity-2D does) then I think Fallback Mode will disappear.

So unless the Unity-to-GNOME-3 migrants decide they like GNOME Shell -
unlikely, if they hate Unity that much - then even they might well end
up on Xfce, I suspect.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com