how to get desktop icons show in VNC on ubuntu11.10

vichy vichy.kuo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:33:33 UTC 2011

hi compdoc:
2011/11/16, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com>:
>> in ubuntu 11.04, I type "gnome-session &" in my xstartup.
>>but I know since 11.10, unity replace gnome as the window manager.
>
> I use vnc4server, so I cannot say if it works for tightvnc or others...
I use vnc4server either.
sorry for not describe my environment more detail.

> If you navigate to  '/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/' you will see some
> or all of these sessions:
>
> gdm.session
> gnome-classic.session
> gnome-fallback.session
> gnome.session
> ubuntu-2d.session
> ubuntu.session
>
> You can use any one of them as your desktop. 'ubuntu.session' and '
> ubuntu-2d.session' are Unity. The others are a basic gnome desktop.
>
> To use one, you don't type in the '.session' part of the name. For example,
> ' gnome-classic.session' becomes ' gnome-classic'.
>
> When you change your startup file, be sure to log in with ssh and restart
> vncserver. I don't like Unity, so here is my xstartup:
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

as you explained to me
There will be below sessions:
 gdm.session
 gnome-classic.session
 gnome-fallback.session
 gnome.session
 ubuntu-2d.session
 ubuntu.session

so the format of execution will be if I
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome
the name of session that remove ".session"?

> [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> vncconfig -iconic &
> x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> x-window-manager &

Appreciate your reply,