My request to ubuntu developer team

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:28:15 UTC 2011

On 16 November 2011 05:55, R S V Reddy <ubuntu.bkn1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh I see, if I am late.

Well, really, the decision was made long ago.

10.10 included the Netbook Remix interface that looked much like Unity.
11.04 switched to Unity by default but you could still pick GNOME 2 as
an option.
11.10 moved the underlying libraries to GNOME 3 so that GNOME 2 is no
longer a choice.

> But I am unhappy to know that 12.04 would be with
> the Unity desktop since I saw many complaints and problems with the Unity
> desktop, that's why (though I have not used Unity desktop).

It's true, there are. I have written about this myself:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/08/ubuntu_on_trial/print.html

But I think it is always common to hear more from people who are
unhappy than happy.

You don't get tens of thousands of happy contented people forming mobs
and camping in public places to tell everyone how much they like
things the way that they are!

(#OCCUPYUBUNTU anyone?)

> If Gnome2 is
> dead, its okay, Gnome3 is there!

Don't be so sure. GNOME 3 Shell is not at all like GNOME 2. Unity is
more like GNOME 2 than GNOME Shell is!

> But I was not sure (before this post) than
> installing Gnome3 from Unity Desktop would have no impact on the perfectness
> of the distro being in use...

I don't understand this sentence, I'm afraid.

Yes, you can install GNOME 3 on Ubuntu 11.10+. It works fine and Unity
still works afterwards.

(If you installed GNOME 3 on Ubuntu 11.04, it broke Unity.)

With GNOME 3 installed, you can choose between Unity, GNOME Shell and
"Classic GNOME", which is actually GNOME 3 Fallback Mode - it looks a
little like GNOME 2 but doesn't work like it.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com