My request to ubuntu developer team

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 01:54:23 UTC 2011

On 15 November 2011 18:51, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> I would be happy to have the desktop which is right now
>
> That does cause a thought – is the gnome included with 10.04 LTS vulnerable
> in some way, or incompatible with the new kernels or packages, or anything
> that would prevent it’s continued use?

GNOME 2 is dead. It is not being maintained any more. Many of its
packages are now part of GNOME 3, such as Gedit or Gnome-terminal. The
same goes for many of its underlying libraries.

What this means is that you can't have GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 installed
on the same copy of Linux at the same time, because many bits of GNOME
2 have been updated into new, Gtk3-based GNOME 3 versions *with the
same names*.

That also means that a single set of repositories can't contain both
GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 bits, because again, they have the same names.

So, no - GNOME 2 is history now. In Ubuntu 11.10, Unity is based on
GNOME 3 libraries, meaning that you can't install the older version.

*But* what has happened is that some volunteers forked GNOME 2.32, the
last version before GNOME 3. It's now called Mate:
https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

Because the name has changed, the package names have changed. So, in
theory, you can have Mate and GNOME  3 installed at once.

And there is a PPA for Mate:
https://launchpad.net/~amanas/+archive/mate-desktop

So in theory you could install Mate, remove GNOME 3 and Unity and have
a modern Ubuntu with the classic-GNOME-style desktop.

And who knows, maybe someone will do a remix that includes this?

It's not a trivial task, though. And it is too soon to say if the Mate
project will be a success, attracte more volunteer developers and
continue to get updated.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com