are docs available in pdf?

R S V Reddy ubuntu.bkn1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 11:14:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com> wrote:

Did you download the PDF version of Rute's??  There's a very clear
> Download PDF link (in addition to a Download HTML link).
> http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/rute.pdf.bz2

This links to the website rather than the download. However, when you click:

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

Okay that works, but here to clicking the 'download' option would link to
the website rather than download, happened with me yesterday!

> So bz2 is not a a document format... it's a compression format
> (similar to Zip in the windows world).  To decompress the file,
> assuming you downloaded the PDF of Rute's book
>
> simply do this in a terminal:
>
> bunzip2 rute.pdf.bz2
>
> That'll decompress the file and you'll be left with rute.pdf which
> should be readable in anything that handles the PDF format.

Ah I see.

> The thing is, you're asking a very nebulous question, still.

'nebulous' w.r.t you, not in general. Don't take it otherwise, I give a
simple analogy:

You are asked to do some operation of stomach (as a doctor) on a patient in
front of you, can you? You would then ask the question which are 'nebulous'
but w.r.t doctors since you are in a different profession. So is the case
here.......<grin>....But if you like medical science, you can read about it
and implement, like one like using Linux!

> You specifically asked for Rute's exposition, and I've provided you with a
> PDF link as well as instructions for decompressing the bz2 file to get

a readable PDF.

However, I was not asking for that, but was giving a simple example that
like Rute's files are there available in *.html.bz2 format, in a similar
fashion is it possible for 'Ubuntu Community Driven Documents' or not...?
That's all. I guess, pdf download of Rute's tutorials are not working from
that link...(though I don't need them right now, Ubuntu is more than
sufficient....)

Saying "I want the 10.04 documentation" is still too general.  But in
> an attempt to be helpful still:
>
> a simple google search for "ubuntu 10.04 documentation pdf" returns
> some useful results, the first of which are the Ubuntu User manual and
> the Ubuntu Server guide.

That I do.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be>wrote:

> > Thanks but should I do it on each page of community driven documentation
> > or
> > in whole could it be done?
>
> One by one. Unless you find a way to script it.

At this point of time (being from other field and getting less time to
learn Linux), I would say no I don't know the way(s) of script. However, if
it is available somewhere (anywhere or on website) in a step-by-step way, I
can implement that.....(if all the instructions are written). However, as
it is now not ABSOLUTELY must to have all in the pdf form, I would rather
implement 'print to pdf' option (unless one tells me the said or point to
link for that..., <grin>), though I have to do that one page by one page...!

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"