[OT] Computers and cold temperatures & lm-sensors

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 22:44:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM, compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> >Humidity and static electricity are things I hadn't considered.
> >Maybe I should run a small humidifier nearby?
>
> I have to run a room humidifier in the house in winter, or I zap everything
> I touch. I've killed a couple of motherboards that way.

If you follow proper static procedures this wouldn't be a problem.
1.  Make sure that all equipment is ~properly~ grounded.  Just because an
outlet has a grounding plug doesn't mean that the circuit has been wired
correctly.  Check it or have it checked by a certified electrician.  If it
isn't grounded to earth it isn't grounded properly.  PERIOD

2.  Always discharge yourself to a known grounded point before attempting
any work requiring you to open the case on any electronic equipment.

3.  If you are going to be working on electronic equipment make sure that
your clothing is not a static generation source.  Many synthetic fabrics
will generate a static charge just by normal movement.  The same goes for
your shoes.  Many synthetic rubber and composition materials generate
static.  If you have a tendency to scuff your feet when walking this only
makes the problem worse.

> The HVAC has a humidifier installed, but it doesn't help.
>
> >So as for thermostatic controls, I've installed lm-sensors and ran
> >sensors-detect but the only sensor detected is WInbond W83697HF/F/HG
>
> When you run sensors-detect, do you accept all defaults, but at the end
> select Y to have the results entered into the .conf file? (Y is not the
> default)
>
> If you enter the motherboard's bios at boot, is there a section that shows
> you voltages and temps? Maybe that board lacks proper sensors.
>

> If I understand the OP question correctly this is a box that is going to
sit on a shelf in an unheated space.  As long as the box is running 24/7
and nobody is mucking about inside the case static is a non issue with the
caveat that it is connected to a properly grounded power source.  [see
above]
Once the system reaches a stable operating temperature the onboard fan
controls should keep the system within proper operating temperature
provided that the air flow is not blocked and there is no accumulation of
dust etc. inside the case.
If it was me I would put it inside a ventilated cupboard with doors to keep
any accidental disturbance by sudden temperature changes such as would
occur with a garage door being opened and to prevent curious fingers from
investigating where they don't belong.  [or the unforeseen accident when
the stepladder falls over]
ED

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball
cap.”  - from a Facebook viral video
<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>