computers and cold temperatures[OT]

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:40:40 UTC 2011

Your chief concern should not be the air temperature but the amount of
moisture that the computer is exposed to.  As long as it is in a "dry"
environment there shouldn't be any problems.  However, any direct exposure
to liquid water is asking for catastrophic failure [naturally].  Even
prolonged high humidity can cause problems through condensation and
increased probability of corrosion.
Your machine will probably be just fine running 24/7 as long as you take
reasonable precautions for situating the equipment.  It will be more likely
to fail if subjected to regular heating and cooling cycles during colder
weather.

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 5:01 AM, CJ Tres <ctres at grics.net> wrote:

> IS it a bad thing to have a computer operating, say, in a garage during
> the cold winters?
> I realize there is some discussion on running 24/7 due to heat/cold
> expansion/contractions but it this machine were running 24/7 during winter
> is there any reason to believe it would be detrimental to the comp?
>
> Also wondering if anyone has any practical experience with storing
> CDs/DVDs under cold conditions.
> One report I read was full of technical terms but ultimately stated that
> there isn't enough data to say one way or the other.

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball
cap.”  - from a Facebook viral video
<http://linuxcounter.net/cert/544489.png>