computers and cold temperatures[OT]

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Nov 11 18:21:16 UTC 2011

On 11/11/2011 08:32 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 11 November 2011 13:01, CJ Tres<ctres at grics.net>  wrote:
>> IS it a bad thing to have a computer operating, say, in a garage during the
>> cold winters?
>> I realize there is some discussion on running 24/7 due to heat/cold
>> expansion/contractions but it this machine were running 24/7 during winter
>> is there any reason to believe it would be detrimental to the comp?
>
> I had a PC running all last winter in a shed down to -14C capturing
> video from a wildlife camera.  Along with the Linksys wireless router,
> configured as a wifi repeater, it worked perfectly, rather to my
> surprise.
>
> I don't think there would be any doubt that operating in a more benign
> environment would be more likely to make stuff last longer though.
>
> Colin

Most ICs are rated to operate down to 0°C, which is 32°F.  Below that,
it's a toss-up.  Many years ago I designed a circuit with an op-amp that
was rated (I discovered after the fact) at 0°C.  At -15°C it stopped
working!  I had to replace it with a device with inferior specs, but
that was rated to -40°C.

What may save your bacon is the fact that the computer generates
internal heat, and may get warm enough to keep everything happy,
particularly if the fan(s) have thermostatic control.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley