Wifi problem in 11.10 with an Acer Aspire Laptop

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 11 17:25:15 UTC 2011

On 11 November 2011 17:07, Steve Zatz <slzatz at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so I did a clean install of 11.10 on another laptop and the wifi
> problems continue.  This is a Lenovo x200 added to the wifi problems on an
> Acer Aspire Timeline. The user experience is that the Wifi is slow to
> nonexistant.   I gather no one else is seeing this.
> I shut off power management with no change in the experience.  Is there any
> chance 11.10 has a problem with WEP security?
> Again, any thoughts would be helpful since two different laptops are
> exhibiting the same problem (which didn't exist with 11.04).  Thanks.

If the two machines are exhibiting the problem at the same site are
you sure it is not a problem with the router or the environment, and
it is just coincidence that it started when you upgraded?

Alternatively have you tried WPA?  WEP is no longer recommended so I
don't suppose much testing goes into it. It is better to move to WPA
if your kit supports it.

Colin