Where is netcdf.h?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:46:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>> I use apt-cache search to look for netcdf.h. But I find nothing. Is
>> there a package that has this file?
>
> Use apt-file instead:
>
> ~/ > apt-file search netcdf.h
> libgdal-doc: /usr/share/doc/libgdal-doc/gdal/frmt_netcdf.html
> libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
> libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf4_netcdf.h
> libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
> libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/netcdf.h
> libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.h
> libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.hh
> libvtk5-dev: /usr/include/vtk-5.2/vtknetcdf/netcdf.h
> netcdf-doc: /usr/share/doc/netcdf-doc/netcdf.html
>
> That was on a 10.04 machine - and it reveals the packages "libhdf4-dev",
> "libnetcdf-dev" and "libvtk5-dev" but I have no idea which one is more
> suitable for you.

The following is from the man page of the two commands. What is APT
cache, where the cache is? Does apt-file search for all the APT
packages available on line for the given version of OS? Does it search
for newer OS versions as well?

apt-cache - query the APT cache
apt-file - APT package searching utility -- command-line interface

--
Regards,
Peng