Just Installed Debian Linux

R.Tyson tysons2 at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 11 15:57:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 22:53:16 -0500
Douglas Saylor <absdoug at gmail.com> wrote:

> After some research & feedback from here & elsewhere, I decided to give
> Debian Stable another try. I used Debian once before, years ago & at the
> time Debian seemed difficult to configure & software was way behind the
> times. I don't know if I'm just getting older & more cranky, but I *think* I'd
> rather have older but stable & "just works". For now, I'll have the option
> to boot into either Debian or Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu for years, but this
> Unity is killing me. Maybe Debian will be a better fit for me. If so, I'll
> shrink my Ubuntu partition or, maybe even delete the partition. If not,
> vise-versa ...Linux does give you options.
>
> I've put my time in with Unity as my main OS ...I'm not a fan. I tried to
> like Unity. At this point, instead of seeming "dated" I'm betting Debian is
> going to seem more like the old Ubuntu I once loved where as Unity is just
> frustrating. I *wanted* to like Unity. I appreciate the *concept* of one OS
> for phones, tablets & computers. Regretfully, Unity has only taught me to
> appreciate how great my iPhone works.
>
> For the same reason Canonical wants to be on multiple devices, I could see
> my next computer purchase being a Mac. I found Unity ...while pretty... was
> also cumbersome, poorly executed, non-intuitive, buggy &*very* frustrating.
> *Meanwhile* iOS is *so* polished, so easy, so intuitive & yes*very* pretty.
> *If* Unity ever makes it to phones/tablets, I'm sure I'll give it a good
> look-see on those devices. I must admit though, it'll take a *lot* for me
> to switch from iOS. While I "prefer" my Linux just work, I *demand* my
> phone "just works". Anyway, back to configuring the new OS.

I tried to like Ubuntu, at first I did like it but then...

I have used Debian Stable for a number of years and was tempted to try
Ubuntu 10. 04. Initially it seemed to work O.K then it started
revealing problems. The GIMP ran as though moving through treacle.
Other annoying things started happening.

Moved back to Debian stable, which was a later version than I had
before and it ... just works.  That's what I like about Debian... it
just works. No fuss, no bother and straight out of the box. Ubuntu seem
to take the Debian packages, modify them and then race to get ever
different versions of their distribution out and lose it's stability in
the process.

I tried Ubuntu a few years back and left it for the same reason.

Perhaps, if they paused for breath between new issues, they could
produce a more stable distribution ?