how to install postfix on my 11.10 box with everything else in place?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Nov 8 19:25:31 UTC 2011

>    openly admitting i'm not an email admin expert, i have a running
> 11.04 system with email running nicely -- "fetchmail" to get my mail,
> "alpine" as my reader and, underneath it all, postfix.
>
>    i want to finish moving everything from this current system to the
> new one, and the last thing left to move is the ability to get and
> send email.
>
>    i've copied over all of mail/, mbox, .addressbook*, .pinerc,
> installed fetchmail and alpine, and all that's left to do is install
> and configure postfix.
>
>    this *shouldn't* be hard since my .fetchmailrc and .pinerc files
> pretty much configure everything i need to know, i just need to drop
> in a basic postfix, correct?  so given my fairly basic setup, when i
> install postfix on the 11.10 system, which selection do i make:
>
>    No config
>    Internet Site
>    Internet with smarthost
>    Satellite system
>    Local only
>
> as i read it, i want either choice 2 or 3 but i'm not sure which.
> advice?
>
> rday

The choice really only affects how e-mail is sent out from your system
to other hosts on the Internet.  Most people now configure their e-mail
client program (alpine in your case) to connect to the smtp server of
their ISP, in which case, this won't matter at all.  You could even
choose Local Only to make sure Postfix isn't trying to send out anything
internet side.

However, if you want postfix to be able to deliver messages to the
Internet, then you are correct, choice 2 or 3.

I still use choice 2, which means Postfix on my system takes care of
delivery.  I do this because I'm a stubborn, anti-social old goat.
There are 3 problems with this:

1. Some ISP's block port 25, (as a means to block spam and e-mail
transmitted virii from originating from their network.).  If that's the
case, that takes option 2 off the table entirely.  Postfix can't deliver
e-mail through blocked port 25.

2.  Some mail servers actively reject e-mail originating from ISP dynic
IP range.  This was somewhat troublesome a year or 2 ago, though it
seems most blocklists no longer do this.

3. You have to be a bit more savvy about configuring some details of
postfix, such as a viable hostname.  Leaving postfix identifying itself
as the default localhost.localdomain (or something similar,) while
perfectly legal in e-mail rfc, will get you blacklisted on spam RBL
blocklists.

Internet with Smarthost means postfix will hand off delivery of the
e-mail to the ISP smtp server.  This should be straightforward if your
ISP accepts plain e-mail on their own port 25 for forwarding.  However,
ISP's increasingly require some kind of authentication for outgoing
e-mail, even when it originates from one of their IP's (again, to combat
those evil self mailing virii.)  If your ISP smtp server requires
authentication, then I'll have to defer to someone else for instructions
on how to configure it.