Ubuntu LTS vs. Firefox Stable PPA

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 03:35:01 UTC 2011

On 11/06/2011 10:23 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When installing Linux desktops for clients (small town halls, public
> libraries, schools), I usually favour enterprise-class desktops, e. g.
> CentOS, Slackware (bug corrections for 10 year old versions, duh!) or -
> lately - Ubuntu LTS.
>
> I'm currently fiddling with a Ubuntu 10.04 desktop, and I wonder if it's
> a good idea to configure the Firefox stable PPA and replace the stock
> Firefox 3.6.23 by the latest Firefox 7.x.
>
> Pros: latest versions seem noticeably faster, eat less RAM, offer better
> compatibility with various add-on modules (that don't work anymore on
> Firefox 3.6.x). Plus, latest versions seem to get more love by the
> Mozilla developers.
>
> Cons: not supported officially by Canonical.

That's sometimes a good thing...

Why not just install directly?

<http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/>

Download & extract to a /home/ directory and then set up a menu to run
Firefox from there: /home/username/firefox/firefox. For systemwide,
install into /opt. User profiles will be the same in both
~/.mozilla/firefox. That way you will also have a 'Help|About
Firefox|Check for Updates' (or you can set for auto, but I turn mine
off). I find it safer and easier to install to each user's /home/
directory instead of messing about with /opt etc. Reason being is that,
if the user screws something up, he/she doesn't screw up anyone else.
Plus it's more secure IMO than having FF installed with superuser/root
permissions elsewhere in the system. If you're worried about the user
messing about in /home/username/firefox/firefox, then make it a hidden
folder:
/home/username/.firefox/firefox

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux