Wifi problem in 11.10 with an Acer Aspire Laptop

Steve Zatz slzatz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:06:42 UTC 2011

After upgrading to 11.10, my WiFi is pretty much unusable.  It worked fine
in 11.04.

If I go to a site like speedtest.net, I have a reasonable ping time and
reasonable download speed but the upload speed is either miniscule or else
the upload speed part of the test is never able to run at all.  If I use a
Windows laptop on the same WiFi network, I do not see the problem.

The above may or may not be relevant to addressing the problem but it is
the one piece of information that I have.

I encountered the problem initially after I upgraded from 11.04. I then did
a clean 11.10 install but that did not solve the problem.

The Acer Aspire model is 3810TZ.

I would think others would have encountered this problem (if it is a
general problem) since I think these Acers are pretty popular but I have
not seen this problem mentioned elsewhere.

I am not sure if this is a driver issue and why it would have suddenly
appeared with 11.10 but open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Steve