One foot out the door!: I've grown to hate Linux Ubuntu

Douglas Saylor absdoug at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 01:51:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Gerry Boland
<gerry.boland at canonical.com> wrote:
>>Subject: One foot out the door!: I've grown to hate Linux Ubuntu
>>
>>Part 1: http://youtu.be/A98xaimAF-g
>>Part 2: http://youtu.be/2TItsrnmmHw
>
> Hey Douglas,
> I'm a developer on the Unity 2D team. Your second video showing the Launcher
> locked on screen is a massive bug,
> but I'm using Unity2D every day and I've never experienced it (aside from
> this bug: [1] which isn't your issue).
> Nor can I find any such report in Launchpad.
>
> Would you mind answering a few questions:
> 1. Had you noticed a concrete way of reproducing this bug?

Sorry, no.

> 2. Does the Launcher behave correctly ever? As in, is the auto-hide working
> at the start, but then gets stuck?

The problem doesn't actually happen often; most of the time I have no problem

> 3. This is stock Ubuntu install, or an upgrade?

Fresh install NOT an upgrade.

> 4. Can you please tell me the model of the netbook you're using?

Acer Aspire One ZG5

> 5. In a Terminal, please run
>         dconf read /com/canonical/unity-2d/launcher/hide-mode
>    and
>         dconf read /com/canonical/unity-2d/launcher/use-strut
>    and give me the shell output. These keys define the launcher's behaviour.
> I'd like to check that they're set ok.

The program 'dconf' can be found in the following packages:
 * dconf
 * dconf-tools
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>