Command time limit exceeded: "/usr/bin/procmail"

Noah noah-list at enabled.com
Thu Nov 3 20:39:02 UTC 2011

On 11/3/11 7:04 AM, Jeff G. wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 11:27 PM, Noah wrote:
>
>> I am getting bounces to one of my accounts on my personal server from an
>> account that is forwarding mail.
>
> if I read this statement correctly, it sounds like some spammers are
> using your email addy as a fake 'From:' and the bounces are backscatter.
> If that is the xase, theres not much you can do - it should go away
> within a week since spammers don't use the address for that long.
>
> Don't think this is a linux problem.

Jeff,

I must not be wording the problem very well.  Also I can see the bounce
claiming "Command time limit exceeded: "/usr/bin/procmail"" back to my
secondary account is originating from my machine by looking directly at
the SMTP header.  there is absolutely no spammers and spam email
involved in this situation.

and there is a corresponding (Command time limit exceeded:
"/usr/bin/procmail") log entry in /var/log/mail.log

so what can I do to circumvent procmail from claiming a time out.  is
there a global server setting I can configure?

Cheers,

Noah