Force windows to maximize on open

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:12:03 UTC 2011

On 2 November 2011 16:43, Douglas Saylor <absdoug at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't believe that a dialog such as the SaveAs dialog can be opened
>> full screen.  What you want is that it opens at a smaller size to
>> match your screen size.
>>
>> A search on launchpad shows that others have the same problem.  You
>> could attach yourself to
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/774254
>>
>> Colin
>
> So much for "Ubuntu is great for netbooks". I've got a friend wanting
> to go back to XP (!) because of *that* problem. He says, "If this
> Linux crap is this poorly thought-out it's not for me". He's part
> right too. I'm refusing to but XP back on his netbook, but he'll
> probably purchase a Macbook Air ...wish I could join him. I'd
> dual-boot, but for my purposes, I wonder if I'd ever find myself in
> Linux/Ubuntu often?

If you are using the 3d version of unity give the 2d version a try.
At the logon screen click the wheel above the password and select 2d.
I can replicate the symptom here by setting my screen to 800x600,
opening libreoffice writer and Save As.  In Unity 3d it displays a
dialog that is larger than the screen.  In 2d the dialog is sized to
fit the screen.

Colin