led vs. lcd monitors

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Wed Nov 2 09:18:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 01:15 -0400, Doug wrote:
> I have been teetering on the edge of upgrading a 4x3 monitor to a 16x9.
> Today I was in Staples, and looked at about 5 brands  of 23"
> monitors, which included both LCD and LED  I definitely got the
> impression that the LED monitors were not as sharp as the LCDs.
> I wonder if this is just  a poor sample, or if this is actually the case
> across the board.  (It  would seem that LCDs are on the way out.
> They're certainly cheaper.)  What is the consensus?
>
> --doug

I thought LED in this context referred to the method of back lighting
the LCD panel, using LEDs rather than cold cathode fluorescent tubes.

The only active LED screen I have heard of, is the organic LED (OLED)
screen in the Sony XEL-1 television, in which the screen is made from an
array of red, green and blue OLEDs fabricated onto a small, very
expensive panel.

LCD screens work by controlling the amount of back light passing through
by a clever use of polarization. Try putting a polarising filter such as
sunglasses or a camera filter in front of an LCD TV or monitor and
rotate it to see the effect.

Dave