Grub problems Lucid 10.04

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue May 31 15:20:38 UTC 2011

On 05/31/2011 09:44 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I hope (Goh Lip?) can help me out with the following problem.
> I have upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04 and done nothing to grub as it simply
> scares me.
> I have no problems with starting Ubuntu whatsoever. However, since
> November are the updated kernels not implemented in grub.
> Apparently grub still uses menu.lst in the /boot/grub directory and that
> file is not updated - as it did earlier - with the latest loaded kernel
> version.
> With the automatic updates the kernel files are updated and I the latest
> is version 2.6.32-32-generic but grub loads only 2.36.32-26-generic.
> As I know that I should use grub-2 instead of grub legacy that I
> apparently use, pleas can somebody guide me how I can correct this and
> why not automatically the newest kernel is added to menu.lst. I assume I
> have to start using grub-2 but I'm very wary as this system is my
> production system and I cannot loose days before I can trust grub again.
> Hope somebody can help out.
> Joep

Hi, Joep, I was out of the country for about a week - oh, you just sent
this, so hopefully you did not wait long.

The commands required for this is exactly the same as grub2.

To include new kernels...
sudo update-grub

To rectify most problems...(and include new kernels)
sudo grub-install /dev/sda   #assuming sda#

Notes:
o  Assume 8.04 (now 10.04) has the grub set to mbr.
    Otherwise go to the OS whose grub is set to mbr and do the above.

o  Grub-legacy sometimes is not so reliable and the above may not work;
    but you can easily make a new menu entry in menu.lst
    Just copy an existing entry and ammend the kernel numbers.
    Save and just to be sure, at terminal, "sudo update-initramfs"

Regards - Goh Lip