100% CPU??

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Sun May 29 01:05:14 UTC 2011

On 5/28/2011 7:52 PM, dave boland wrote:
> The Gnome panel app and System Monitor are showing unusually high CPU at
> 100%.  Normally it is between 33% and $47%.  The Process window, sorted
> for %CPU is in the correct range when I total the apps running.  What is
> going on?  The performance of the system feels normal, but I'm worried.

Well, I don't know about other people who do diagnostics but for me this
is pretty broad.  I can name thousands of things (right off) that could
go wrong and cause that kind of CPU usage.

Lets start off with taking a snapshot of CPU usage, try:
$~: ps -eo pcpu,user,args | sort -k 1 -r > ~/cpu_snapshot.txt

Post it back to us using:
https://paste.ubuntu.com
https://pastebin.com