Wubu and minimal cd

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Fri May 27 09:50:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 11:21, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 10:18, Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:
>> The Wubi guide states that any other image is unsupported, but how
>> should
>> I interpret that?
>> A: We are 100% sure that it won't work and you will surely break stuff
>> if
>> you try it anyway.
>
> I believe this is the case. The Live CD has an entirely different
> architecture than the minimal, server & alternate CDs. Wubi relies on
> sparking up the graphical Ubuntu installer to do the installation.
>
> The alternative is to install the desktop version then strip it down,
> or install in a VM, or shrink your windows partition a bit and don't
> use wubi.
>
> Wubi has a very specific target, I don't think your requirements match
> that.

Thanks Al. I guess you saved me from a bit of frustration.

Running Ubuntu in a VM or in a second partition doesn't fit my
requirements. I guess I'll have to a full monty on the desktop version.
But I'll install a minimal version in a VM first, to have something to
compare with.

What if...
* I install Ubuntu desktop inside Wubi
* I install Ubuntu minimal inside a VM
* I make a tarball of the minimal install
* I wipe the disk image in Wubi and replace it with the minimal tarball

Perhaps I'll have to take extra care with /etc and /boot, but in theory
this _could_ work, right?

Amedee