install ubuntu 11.4 at macbook

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed May 25 21:44:15 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:19:41 dominador nolasco wrote:
> Sir,
> I want to know if i can install ubuntu 11.4 on my macbook OS X
> Version10.6.7.
> I'm a new user of this OS, but i did it perfectly on my other desktop
> wherein i install side by side with Windows XP without any problem as well
> as my other laptop which is HP with Vista as its Os that i remove
> completely and i  was able to install it also.
> So please tell me how to do it on my macbook.
> Cordially,
> ador

Hi!

Of which OS are you a new user?

As to installing on a Mac, you can of course wipe OS X and install ubuntu,
although I don't know how it works with EFI.

The other, more ususal solution is to free some harddisk space. AFAIAC I
repartition - reformat the disk from the OS X disk utility and leave some free
space for Linux. Then I partition from Linux (with parted) and install Linux.

Choice at boot time can be done with the Alt key, but it should be possible to
tweak EFI to set Linux boot as default (I did that once I think).

This being said lots of things don't work well on a Mac usually, so being a
Linux user first I usually go the other way round: install Hackintosh OS on a
(Linux compatible) PC Laptop (or netbook).

Regards,

T. de Coulon