CPU frequency scaling problem - laptop users, please check this

A. Kromic akromic at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:43:55 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 10:23 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> So you refuse to test a simple scenario but it works for the rest of
> all... Simply run as many copies of cpuburn and then check the
> /proc/cpuinfo.

I refuse to do futile tests. I'm an IT pro, didn't start with computers
and linux yesterday, and most certainly won't blindly try every
suggestion for which I know how it works and why it's not rellevant for
me. NHF.

> Are you absolutely sure you haven't fiddled with your BIOS settings?
> Dell laptops have an option regarding the CPU speed governor support.

No, I'm not sure - I've already said I've tried fiddling with
everything, including the BIOS settings. I also said I know what I'm
doing, and follow a rule of sanity - after testing it's an imperative to
revert everything to the previous state. NHF again. And FYI, if you
disable frequency scaling in BIOS, it doesn't care which kernel version
(or OS) you have - it simply doesn't work then.

I believe I'm at least competent enough to identify this problem as a
kernel or hardware bug, and not a result of my own stupidity ;)

--
A.Kromic
-