CPU frequency scaling problem - laptop users, please check this

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 24 17:34:06 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 04:00 AM, A. Kromic wrote:
> I have a problem of CPU frequency scaling not working with kernels newer
> than 2.6.32-24 (which I already discussed here a while ago). The bug is
> reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/706089
>
> The problem is, this problem seems to be ignored (nobody reacted at all
> to fix this, something that perhaps deserves further comments); one of
> the reasons could be that most people _have_no_idea_ what frequency
> their CPU is running at! Therefore, probably there aren't enough reports
> for anyone to investigate this...
>
> So I'm asking people with Core2/Centrino Duo laptops if they could check
> the frequency their CPU is running at. At the bug tracker, there is one
> reply from an AMD Turion64 user to have the same problem, so perhaps
> users of such machines could give it a try...
>
> How to check it? One way is from the console, simply do:cat
> /proc/cpuinfo. Within the results should be something like this:

Working (not the same cpu) for me on 2.6.35-29-generic:

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 23
model name	: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4300  @ 2.10GHz
stepping	: 10
cpu MHz		: 1200.000

and

vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 23
model name	: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4300  @ 2.10GHz
stepping	: 10
cpu MHz		: 2100.000

$ uname -a
Linux . 2.6.35-29-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 15 17:12:35 UTC 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Same with Natty. Your initial posts indicated that you had battery/power
issues.
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/233787>
Is that still the case? Maybe these will help?
<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_use_of_Dynamic_Frequency_Scaling>
<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_CPU_frequency_scaling>

You mention in your bug report "works perfectly with kernels up to
2.6.32-24". But your last post: "Still not working with latest release
kernels: 2.6.32-32 (Lucid)". So I'm confused - with which kernel *is*
cpu scaling currently working on your machine?