[OT] Netbook and Ubuntu

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Tue May 24 16:42:42 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 08:12 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Tommy Trussell
> <tommy.trussell at gmail.com <mailto:tommy.trussell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Arnaud G <lepelerin2002 at yahoo.com
>     <mailto:lepelerin2002 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>         I am looking for a netbook for a nomadic user.  It will run
>         Ubuntu 10.10.
>         The user's work consists of (while travelling) editing LO doc,
>         read pdfs and web surfing databases (many of them using Java!).
>         It seems that Acer, Asus  are popular items among netbooks.
>         One model that caught my attention is the Asus Eee PC 1215P.
>
>         Anybody out there with feedback on this machine running
>         Ubuntu? The pro and Cons. Any other recommendations for a
>         similarly spec'd machine.
>

>     I believe it should work fine. It does happen to be listed on the
>     Ubuntu wiki:
>
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks#Asus Eee
>     PC 1215N
>     <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks#Asus+Eee+PC+1215N>
>
>     A Google search also turned up several discussions, including:
>
>     http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1644370
>

> I just noticed a letter difference in the model you asked about. The
> 1215P may be a little underpowered and RAM-starved for you compared to
> the 1215N.
>
> http://www.ultra-laptops.com/comparisons/asus_eee_pc_1215p_vs_asus_eee_pc_1215n

Not at all, I'm typing this email on a Eee PC 1005PEB with the N450 1.66
mhz processor.  It started life with 1GB of ram and did just fine.  I
upgraded a few weeks ago to 2G  and it is better, but you could go
either way.  Neither the 1215p or n is going to be a screamer, but
either one will work.

--PE