Software repository question

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:56:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> dave boland wrote:
>>
>> It is time for an app store for all Linux distributions.  The apps
>> need to have a rating (like Tucows), description, perhaps multiple
>> levels, etc.
>>
>> There will be problems with all of the packaging methods, but that
>> should be easy to resolve if the will is there.
>> </comment>
>
> That seems to be a nice idea. Why don't you start such an app store, it
> is your idea after all. But beware - don't call it "app store" because
> Steve Jobs thinks that name is already owned by Apple.

I do not think this is feasible. Some distributions have older
programs, libraries, kernels, than other distributions. Some of these
may last for many years, for stability reasons (an example is the Red
Hat Enterprise Linux/ Scientific Linux/CentOS family).

You can't have a binary program using the latest features, running
everywhere, even in the active versions of the same distribution (like
Fedora 14, Fedora 15 currently, Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 currently).

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net