Software repository question

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue May 24 13:12:37 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 07:51 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> dave boland wrote:
>> I have noticed that the repositories for my ver. of Ubuntu, 10.04
>> LTS, has one level of software, and 11.04 has newer versions of the
>> same software.  Why?  Shouldn't older versions of Ubuntu have easy
>> access to newer software?  I can understand the issue if a newer
>> kernel is required, but if it is only a normal dependency issue,
>> then the software manager should handle that -- right?
>
> There is not only a dependency on particular kernels but also on other
> basic libraries. Usually you can install software of an older Ubuntu
> version because new libraries are backwards compatible. However if a new
> feature of a specific library is required for your particular program,
> you can't make it run on the older Ubuntu version.
>
> Furthermore it isn't only a dependency issue but a question of stability
> (stability not in the sense of "not crashing" but in the sense of "not
> continuously changing"). On my main machine I have 10.04 LTS installed
> because I need a stable environment. If applications would be replaced
> just because there is a new version available, I would have to
> thoroughly check each of them to find out if everything works as
> expected. That would be very troublesome in case I'm in a hurry and need
> that very application. Then I don't have the time to find out how things
> work in the new version.
>
> OTOH, you always have the chance to install the latest software by
> upgrading your entire system to the latest Ubuntu version.
>
>> <comment>
>> It is time for an app store for all Linux distributions.  The apps
>> need to have a rating (like Tucows), description, perhaps multiple
>> levels, etc.
>>
>> There will be problems with all of the packaging methods, but that
>> should be easy to resolve if the will is there.
>> </comment>
>
> That seems to be a nice idea. Why don't you start such an app store, it
> is your idea after all. But beware - don't call it "app store" because
> Steve Jobs thinks that name is already owned by Apple.
>

> Nils

http://www.osnews.com/story/24330/Major_Linux_Distributions_Collaborating_on_Application_Store

Installing software on Linux has gotten progressively easier over the
years, down to being downright foolproof in Ubuntu's Application Center.
However, there is still the problem of each distribution relying on its
own frontends and backends, and this needs to be addressed. Members from
all the major Linux distributions have held several talks, and have come
up with a solution which is already being implemented.