Software repository question

A. Kromic akromic at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:50:22 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 01:33 PM, dave boland wrote:
> All,
>
> I have noticed that the repositories for my ver. of Ubuntu, 10.04 LTS,
> has one level of software, and 11.04 has newer versions of the same
> software.  Why?  Shouldn't older versions of Ubuntu have easy access to
> newer software?  I can understand the issue if a newer kernel is
> required, but if it is only a normal dependency issue, then the software
> manager should handle that -- right?

Unfortunately it doesn't work like this, most apps must be packaged for
the exact distribution version. Those applications are available as
"backports" for older distributions. I do agree that LTS editions should
deserve a special care regarding that, and more new apps should be made
available for those.

> The bottom line is that all users should have access to latest stable
> apps (or unstable if one wants the risk) without muss or fuss.

This actually is a good point. I also agree that in the future there
should be a more universal repository. Although it can be more troubles
to package like that, the third party sources providing universal Ubuntu
and Debian packages prove it possible.

In the meantime, you can rely on several third party repositories, most
of them available as Ubuntu PPAs. The easiest way to get them is
probably by the Ubuntu Tweak application.

--
A.Kromic
-