companies selling Ubuntu preinstalled?

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Tue May 24 00:34:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
> On 24.05.2011 00:17, ssc1478 wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM, compdoc<compdoc at hotrodpc.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> One thing you might do if you have to buy it with Windows is to image the
>>> drive with clonezilla as soon as you get it. Either that or remove the hard
>>> drive and install another drive to install Ubuntu on.
>>>
>>> That way if the Ubuntu install isn't possible, you can quickly revert it
>>> back and return the laptop, or use it with Windows.
>>>

>> I bought an HP Mini with Win 7 on it.  I replaced it with Ubuntu.  The
>> power port broke while it was under warranty so I sent it in for
>> repair.  When I got it back it had Win 7 reinstalled. :)
>
> (...)
>
> I've bought Acer Aspire One, with Windows XP two years ago.
>
> I asked Acer if it's possible to get a refund, and they said it is
> (which is a lot of hassle - send it back, pay for all shipping costs - probably more than Windows refund):
>

> Dear Mr. Chmielewski,
>
> thank you for your support request.
>
> The Acer Aspire One 751 is only avaliable with a Microsoft Windows licence.
>
>  As a matter of principle the return of your licence is possible. The
> following criteria have to be met:
>
> 1.) The licence agreements, which appeared when you first started the
> system, MUSTN'T be accepted.
>
> 2.) The item has to be sent in to our Service Center including all
> accessoires and equipement. If you already created recovery discs it is
> utmost important that these will also be sent in with the item. No copy of
> the former deliverred operating system is allowed to remain in your
> property / hands.
>
> 3.) The ACER service is then going to remove the Windows lincence plate and
> will erase the whole harddisc.
>
> 4.) You then will receive a refund (by bank transfer) for the preinstalled
> OEM licence (about 30 Euro) .
>
> 5.) You have to pay the shipping cost to the acer service center and the
> shipping costs back to your address.
>
> If you wish to return the licence we need the serial number of your
> notebook, your contact details including the shipping address and your bank
> details.
>
> We will then provide you with a reference number with which the item can be
> dispatched to our Service Center.
>
> Please follow the instructions below before dispatching the item:
>
> - Please note the reference number clearly visible on the outer package /
> cardboard box.
> - If possible pack the item in the original packaging or use another
> package that is safe for transport.
> - Please note that ACER will not accept items that arrive being dispatched
> "freight collect".
>
> ACER Computer GmbH
> Repair Center
> Kornkamp 4
> 22926 Ahrenburg
>
> If you have any further questions regarding this topic please do not delete
> the previous correspondence.
>
> Best regards
> [...]
I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on the internet.
However, the Acer policy outlined above *may* be in violation of EU
anti-competitive/monopoly regulation.
On the face of it it appears that Acer is conspiring with Micro$oft to
make the standard of compliance so high as to be cost prohibitive,
both in terms of time and treasure.
Hi Desert ED

--
"Paper money has had the effect in your state that it will ever have,
to ruin commerce, oppress the honest, and open the door to every