companies selling Ubuntu preinstalled?

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 21:53:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 12:35:52 -0700
Pastor JW <pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org> wrote:

> However, we are very happy with the laptops we got from
> http://zareason.com/shop/home.php but I'm not sure where in the world
> they ship.  I know they do ship to some foreign countries.  Check
> them out!

I agree about their boxes.
Here, though, is the Word from their site:

"A question we hear often is: "Will you ship computers to my country
someday?"

For the first four years of business we shipped internationally to a
very long list of countries. We greatly enjoyed shipping out computers
and having people rave about how "I was not able to find a computer
this good at any store in _______ (name of country)". We greatly
enjoyed supporting the world at large. Free and open software does not
have borders; we wanted the hardware to be more open too.

But we have found with every legitimate order, there are dozens of
illegitimate orders. We have excellent devs on the team who have helped
fight the fraud, but it was costing us money to do this. And that money
has to come from somewhere.

So, we are shifting focus. We are letting our Berkeley, California shop
handle all US and Canada orders. As quickly as we possibly can we are
working on setting up similar shops in other countries. The next few on
the list, in order, are New Zealand, Canada, and Italy. All other
countries are in queue, coming as quickly as we can build the resources
to do it.

We have given this question a lot of thought. We have two goals that we
can not compromise: 1. Quality builds
2. Intense R&D

The international issues were pulling us away from both. By setting up
a little shop in your country we will be able to maintain our core
without compromise.

For now, there are several ways you can voice your opinion about this:

1. Go to our forums and let us know what you think:
http://www.zareason.com/forums/
The International questions are in the "Building the Community" section.

2. If you wish your message to be private, email us at:
orders at zareason.com

3. Tell your friends, colleagues and acquaintances about us. There are
many, many countries that have shown a strong interest in having a
ZaReason shop in-country. With enough support and energy we will be
building optimized for Linux only computers in your country soon too."

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
	Larry Niven, Steven Barnes