[!!] Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:57:14 UTC 2011

On 23 May 2011 13:38, JARA MELAGRANI, Mariano <marianojara at afip.gob.ar> wrote:
> Hi Ioannis, thanks for your answer.
>
> On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 12:01 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> I just checked Slitaz information, and I saw it is for low/very-low
>> resources PCs. Perhaps you may try Xubuntu. It is for low resources
>> PCs, and has available all of Ubuntu software.
>>

>> http://www.xubuntu.org
>>

>> Try the Xubuntu Live-CD before installation.
>>
> I did try Xubuntu, though the alternate installation media because the
> live-cd wouldn't load completely (Celeron, 256 Mb RAM); but the
> installation process halted near the end with the same message.
>>
>> Did you try Ubuntu's Live-CD before installation? If not, try it and
>> tell us if it works OK. I suspect that perhaps it is not a GRUB issue.
>>
> Same issue as Xubuntu Live-CD here, it only loads to a certain point
> (taking an awful amount of time, maybe 2 hours), but I'll give it
> another go when I'm at the PC in a couple of days maybe. Thanks for your
> suggestion.

To be honest, it sounds like your machine has some problem with Ubuntu
and I expect that if one edition does not work, none of them will. I
am happy to hear you've got it working with Slitaz, though. If that
does what you need, then by all means, stick with it!

Xubuntu is not really much lighter-weight than Ubuntu itself, and I
think your machine is too low-specification for either of them.
Lubuntu is the lightest *buntu variant at the moment, and in my
experience, it runs well on a machines with 256MB and 320MB of RAM.
You can only really look at 2 or 3 web pages at once, though.

If you get more confident and proficient with Linux, then either
Slackware or Debian may be useful on a low-end machine such as this -
but both require a lot more manual configuration than *buntu or
Slitaz. Not for beginners!

Other options are fairly few. Sadly, Damn Small Linux (DSL) is no
longer being updated. Puppy Linux is easy and friendly, but it is
insecure by design, so I do not recommend it. It is also not trivial
to install it to hard disk, update it and add new software.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com