[!!] Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk

Ioannis Vranos ioannis.vranos at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:52:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:38 PM, JARA MELAGRANI, Mariano
<marianojara at afip.gob.ar> wrote:
> Hi Ioannis, thanks for your answer.
>
> On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 12:01 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>> Try the Xubuntu Live-CD before installation.
>>
> I did try Xubuntu, though the alternate installation media because the
> live-cd wouldn't load completely (Celeron, 256 Mb RAM); but the
> installation process halted near the end with the same message.
>>
>> Did you try Ubuntu's Live-CD before installation? If not, try it and
>> tell us if it works OK. I suspect that perhaps it is not a GRUB issue.
>>
> Same issue as Xubuntu Live-CD here, it only loads to a certain point
> (taking an awful amount of time, maybe 2 hours), but I'll give it
> another go when I'm at the PC in a couple of days maybe. Thanks for your
> suggestion.

Your RAM is few, so I think you may stay will the small Linux
distribution you found.

This link, with Linux distributions which require a minimum of 128
MBs, may be useful to you (you need your other 128 MBs for running
applications I suppose):

http://goo.gl/Y3FeP

--
Ioannis Vranos