[OT]Re: [11.10_Alpha1]-Will Classic Gnome Be An Option?

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:12:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011 19:10:19 +0100
Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

> That's not the plan, no.
>
> The plan for 11.10 is to have Unity 3D by default, with Unity 2D as
> the fallback.
>
> GNOME Shell will be in the repository for installation, and I suspect
> the traditional GNOME 2-panel interface will be possible too. Neither
> of those will be 'default' though.

I understand that is the schedule, but is the "traditional GNOME
2-panel interface" going to be for Gnome2 or Gnome3, and if Gnome2 can
we have some indication of whether Ubuntu is going over to Gnome3 or
not?

I don't want to have to learn a new desktop (such as Unity) unless its
part of a shift to Gnome3; this was the reason I shifted from KDE3 when
it started to change to KDE4 (there were just too many changes for me
to be comfortable).

But I am happy to get over a few hurdles if I can be sure of the long
term plans.  Gnome3 is the current version of GNOME so is the Unity
desktop part of Ubuntu's long term plans to introduce Gnome3? Or not?

--
Graham