Trouble window list on dual monitor

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:19:33 UTC 2011

On 19 May 2011 21:40, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Tarun Khanna <tarunkhanna at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Tarun

>>> This is very weird -- are you sure you don't have a second GNOME panel
>>> with a second window list applet on the external screen?
>>>
>>> I've been using dual-head configurations extensively, and I've observed
>>> this behaviour:
>>>
>>>  * when you have only one window list applet, it shows windows from both
>>>   screens
>>>
>>>  * when you have two window list applets -- one on each screen -- they
>>>   each show windows of their respective screens.
>>>
>>> Marius Gedminas
>>
>> Have you tried creating a new panel in the external monitor with a window
>> list applet for that panel?
>>
>> Another brute force approach is to delete the private gnome directory.
>> That will reset all panels. I had to do that once. It is pretty innocuous. I
>> don't remember the exact directory though. It might be one of ~/.gnome or
>> ~/.gnome2 or ~/.gnome2_private.
>>
> Some of this seems surreal to me -- but  I'm on Lucid LTS, so maybe that's
> why I don't see anything about "Show windows from all workspaces" in any
> properties dialopg, but I do in fact see all windows (minimized or not) in
> the bottom panel on the primary monitor.  I also have a workspace switcher
> there that shows both screens of each worklspace.  This is all Gnome.

Eh? Oh yes there is!

Are you perhaps looking at the wrong dialog box?

I have just rebooted into Linux Mint Debian Edition to check. GNOME
Panel 2.30.2.

It's been much the same for many years, though - more or less since
Ubuntu first came out, IIRC. All GNOME 2 distros have the same dialog,
AFAIK.

You need to right-click *on the handle of the window-list itself*,
which is immediately to the left of the window buttons for any open
windows you have visible. Failing that, if there is abundant blank
space (few or no open windows), a right-click *on the window list
region of the panel* should do.

>From the context menu, pick "Preferences".

The dialog is entitled "Window List Preferences". It has 3 groups of settings:

Window List Content
  (*) Show windows from current workspace
  ( ) Show windows from all workspaces

Window Grouping
  (*) Never group windows
  ( ) Group windows when space is limited
  ( ) Always group windows

Restoring minimised windows *NB Greyed out for me*
  (*) Restore to current workspace
  ( ) Restore to native workspace

[Help] [Close]

I have represented radio buttons (i.e. only 1 permissible choice at a
time) with empty brackets, "( )", and text action buttons with square
brackets, [Like this]. I've shown my selections with an asterisk.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com