Things not visible in Synaptic

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri May 20 10:52:39 UTC 2011

Sandy Harris wrote:
> I just put 10.10 on another machine, am trying to add various things
> I need or want. Synaptic is not showing them. Searches for
> Latex, Texworks, cgoban, pltscheme all fail. These are all things
> I have installed on another 10.10 box.
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list looked about right but I simplified it, which
> did not fix the problem. It now has:
>
> deb http://ftp.sjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ maverick-updates main restricted
> universe multiverse
> deb-src http://ftp.sjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ maverick-updates main
> restricted universe multiverse

If that is really the entire contents of your sources.list, you will
only see packages with updates. For other packages you need the maverick
repository. Furthermore I would suggest to add the security repository
as well. Therefore you should add these lines:

deb http://ftp.sjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-security main restricted multiverse universe

Nils