Hardware Metrics - standard device specifics inventory? [PREY]

ANDY sirald66 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 08:43:44 UTC 2011

DELL LATITUDE D600
UBUNTU 9.10 +proposed
PREY 0.5.3

I am assuming that Linux has a standard way of inventorying all attached
devices that include (if not their make-model) the geometry (size/features)
along with bios and serial number.  Can anyone tell me what that command is?

I'm using the free LoJack like anti-theft tool called Prey which currently
reports the below hardware configuration metrics to fingerprint the system.
But since other attached devices would be involved in the theft (such
printer, external drives, etc), you want those in the inventory to assist in
identification and recovery.

The UUID seems maybe of limited use.  Because if the system is
updated/formatted, couldn't that change?

Hardware information (Last checked: 7 days ago)

   -  *Serial number* 2MRVxxx
   -  *Motherboard vendor* Dell Computer Corporation
   -  *Motherboard model* 0G5xxx
   -  *UUID* 44454C4C-4D00-1052-8056-B2C04F333xxx
   -  *RAM size (MB)* 749
   -  *BIOS version* A11
   -  *CPU speed (MHz)* 1500
   -  *RAM modules* 2
   -  *BIOS vendor* Dell Computer Corporation
   -  *CPU model* Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz
   -  *Number of cores* 2
   -  *Motherboard serial number* .2MRVxxx.CN486434652xxx.

ANDY - Salt Lake, UT US