Firefox 4.01 in Kubuntu 11.04: no ¨dead¨ keys, no compose key.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed May 18 06:31:11 UTC 2011

Hello Everybody

Recently some strange problem popped up in Firefox 4.01 inside Kubuntu
11.04: ¨dead keys¨  as well as the ¨ compose key¨ do not function any more
in that specific application. I use the keyboard lay out ¨ USA international
with dead keys¨ . As far as I can see, everything works well in ALL other
applications, where I do get characters like é,à  and â in a correct way: by
typing e.g. ´ and than a. But, as I said, ¨dead¨  keys like ´, ¨, etc. do
not function any more correctly inside one single, but often used
application: Firefox. The same applies for characters produced by the
so-called compose key: e.g. compose-s-s which produces ß. This happens still
really everywhere at my 11.04 system, except inside Firefox 4.01.
Does anybody know any way to instruct Firefox to use the same keyboard
lay-out as in all other applications?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

--