Where does the "n packages can be upgraded" message come from

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:36:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011 13:33:12 -0400, stan wrote:

[snip]
> Thanks. I did have /etc/motd.tail, and I removed it. Now I don't get the
> incorect information, but I also do not get the corect information.
>
> Will the correct information be generated at some point in time?

Yes. The way it works now is pam_motd is supposed to dynamically generate
a motd upon user login if you have this line "session    optional
pam_motd.so" in /etc/pam.d/login (and sshd). pam_motd executes via run-
parts the scripts in /etc/update-motd.d. The 90-updates-available script
in turn executes the /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-
available script.

You should be able to update motd by running "apt-get update" and then
running the "update-motd-updates-available" manually:

$ sudo apt-get -qq update
$ sudo /usr/lib/update-notifier/update-motd-updates-available --force

2 packages can be updated.
2 updates are security updates.

Now check /var/run/motd and see if update entries match whatever the
update-motd-updates-available script generated.

--
sktsee