/home on separate partition & encryption

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun May 15 18:02:01 UTC 2011

On 15 May 2011 18:11, Douglas S. Saylor <absdoug at gmail.com> wrote:
>   I'm starting to think I want to have files a separate /home
> partition. I'm trying to sort the + & - of this set-up. Then there's the
> question of encryption. Questions: 1) how can this be done without
> reinstalling 11.04? 2) with this encryption, is it the "bullet-proof"
> type kinda thing even the govt can't crack, or is that something less
> than that?

It's far, far easier to do via a reinstall. It's how I've run for the
last 15y or so on Linux, so yes, I'd recommend a separate /home.

You *can* move a /home *directory* into a separate partition - I've
done it - but if you need to ask for instructions, don't try. You will
probably trash your system.

As for encryption - I never use it unless an employer demands it. Life
is too short.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com