How to handle those "smart" device names at the CLI?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sat May 14 10:47:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:10:13AM +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I use an external USB drive for backup purposes. I use Image for Linux for
> this, where I have to hand mount my backup partition as root. The result is
> that the backup files are owned by root.
>
> When I plug the drive in Ubuntu, it gets automounted as something like:
> /dev/sde1 on /media/4ae56680-7468-493e-aa40-9bb6c79f00f7 type ext3
>
> What's the smart way of accessing it from a terminal? I don't seem to be able
> to type this sort of "code" correctly, so for the time I have
> umount /dev/sde1 and mount /dev/sde1 on whatever directory I want.

Give the USB disk a volume label, then it'll be mounted on
/media/thelabelyougave.

You can do that with palimpsest (the GUI disk tool), or with something
like e2label/dosfslabel, depending on the filesystem.

Marius Gedminas
--
Many people enjoy Perl, many enjoy Python, some enjoy /bin/tcsh.  The latter
population should however, needless to say, be put into working camps.